The format of each evening
- 7.45 - 8.00pm Zoom intro session with David & Kate
- 8.00 - 9.40pm The Marriage Course session (link provided to watch online)
- 9.40 - 10.00pm (optional) Zoom catch-up after the session
As we finish each week's intro (around 8pm) we will give you all a link to watch each Marriage Course session (this will be accessible for 3 hours). You watch this by clicking the link (or pasting it into a browser and then clicking play).
The video will play through for around 1 hr 40 mins. This includes the input as well as several breaks for the conversations that you will find in your Guest Journal (the timed breaks include music and a countdown before the next section of input). Even if you feel you would like more time to talk during these conversations, we encourage you wherever possible to keep to the timings provided and continue the discussion later instead.
If you would like to connect with us privately at any time during the session, click the 'Request Prayer' button (we are unable to change the button wording) to open up a private chat session with us. You can also use the public chat functionality.
We will keep the zoom session open until we can see that everyone is able to access the video. We won't re-connect as a group at the end, however Kate & I will remain available until 10pm for anyone who would like to touch base once the session has finished. Just send us a private message and we'll open up a zoom call with the same ID as the intro session.
We'll be in touch with everyone via email the next day and provide the direct link to the session video in case you'd like to recap over the next week.
Preparing for each evening
When we run The Marriage Course in person we make a real effort to make it special with romantic tables for two, chocolates, candles, mood lighting, decadent desserts and nibbles/cheeses. We obviously can't do this for you in your home, however we would strongly encourage you to make an effort to create a special atmosphere by:
- Ensuring younger kids are in bed before the session starts and having any older kids set up with activities until they go to bed
- Putting your phone on silent or even better, putting it away
- Ensuring you are ready to watch the intro on zoom and then the main session on a web browser (maybe cast to your TV for easier viewing)
- Having some nice nibbles/drinks set and ready to go before the session starts
What if we can't make a session?
We understand that despite your best intentions, sometimes you may be unable to make a session. If this is the case we suggest that if it is possible for at least one of you to join the initial zoom (15 mins max) you do this to connect and touch base. Regardless, we will ensure that you get the link and password for the video so that you are able to catch up prior to the next week's session.
You may already be familiar with zoom. If not we would suggest you download zoom and familiarise yourself with the basic functionality prior to the course. The below links may be helpful:
- 'How to Zoom' YouTube playlist (created by Zoom - useful for a refreshing and troubleshooting)
- Using Zoom for Online Meetings (a comprehensive resource)
Some other important zoom info:
- A free (basic) zoom account is all that is needed. You will not need a paid account.
- When you join the zoom meeting (via a link we will email you) you will enter a 'waiting room' until you are admitted to the session by the course leaders
- Please rename your video (if needed) to your first names (right-click your own camera display and select 'Rename')
- Choose either the 'Gallery View' or 'Speaker View' - whichever you prefer
- You will join the course with audio enabled. You can choose whether or not to use your video. We would encourage you do so for the first part until you are successfully watching the online video at which point you can end the zoom meeting.