6 June, 2019
What is Pentecost?
Pentecost is the day when we celebrate the gift of the Holy Spirit. We can read about this in the Bible in [Acts 2:1-13](https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts+2%3A1-13&version=NIRV). Pentecost is 50 days after Easter (10 days after Jesus' Ascension) - you could say it was the church's birthday with over 3,000 people becoming followers of Jesus on the one day!
Some helpful resources for your family
Note that this page seeks to provide ideas and resources for Pentecost only and not the ongoing work of the Holy Spirit in our lives, including the gifts and fruits of the Spirit.
Pentecost (Strandz) - check out [this website](https://www.strandz.org.nz/pentecost.html) for a huge number of ideas to help you celebrate Pentecost, including:
- [A Pinterest page](https://www.pinterest.nz/Strandznz/pentecost/) - loads of ideas of crafts, colouring sheets, baking and decorations!
- [Celebrating Pentecost](http://kidsfriendly.org.nz/wp-content/Uploads/Celebrating-Pentecost-2015.pdf) - a resource full of activities and ideas - from the Presbyterian Church of Aotearoa, New Zealand
Pentecost crafts to make with your kids:
- Make your own [Pentecost Flames Salad Spinner Art with prayer ideas](http://flamecreativekids.blogspot.com/2014/04/pentecost-flames-salad-spinner-art-and.html) - a fun and messy craft to do with your kids for Pentecost
- Do some colouring in with this [Pentecost Colouring Page](https://whatsinthebible.com/activity-library/pentecost/)
Talking with your kids about Pentecost - the below articles provide ideas for talking about Pentecost with your kids in age appropriate ways that don't freak them out!
- [3 Teaching Points for Pentecost](https://buildfaith.org/teaching-pentecost/) (buildfaith.org) - a helpful article highlighting that Pentecost was the 'birth day' of the church, that it showcases the Trinity and that it shows that Jesus kept his promise
- [God Sends Help](https://youtu.be/SCVceyp7IdI) (The Jesus Storybook Bible) - an animated re-telling of the story 'God Sends Help' read by David Suchet
- [Talking about the Holy Spirit with your kids](https://whatsinthebible.com/what-is-the-holy-spirit-book-of-acts/) (a video from What's in the Bible?) - Phil Vischer talks about how we can talk with our kids about the Holy Spirit right through the Bible, not just at Pentecost...
- [How to teach kids about the Holy Spirit](https://www.gatherandgrow.co/family-faith-building-teaching-kids-holy-spirit/) (gatherandgro.co) - some really helpful suggestions including Bible verses that talk about what he does
- [Come Holy Spirit: 3 Prayers for Pentecost](https://buildfaith.org/come-holy-spirit/) (buildfaith.org) - some wonderful ways to pray in the home, providing insights into the role of the Holy Spirit today
- [Pentecost cartoon worksheet](http://cartoonchurch.com/cartoons/worksheets/pentecost_pdf.pdf) (cartoonchurch.com) - a bit of fun although a little abstract as well... :)
- [The Holy Spirit](https://youtu.be/oNNZO9i1Gjc) (a video from The Bible Project) - best for older kids and youth and traces the person of the Holy Spirit right through the Bible
- [What is Pentecost?](https://whatsinthebible.com/what-is-pentecost/) (What's in the Bible?) - a helpful video and article covering the origins of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit Today and Talking with our Kids about the Holy Spirit
Making Pentecost special this year - some ideas for helping to make Pentecost 'a thing' and avoiding it just passing you by:
- [Pentecost Playdough Mat](http://flamecreativekids.blogspot.com/2014/04/pentecost-play-dough-mat.html) (Flame Creative Children's Ministry) - a practical and fun activity for younger kids including questions for thinking and prayer ideas
- [Flame Finger Labyrinth](http://www.strandz.org.nz/uploads/4/6/5/9/46590535/finger_labyrinth.pdf) (Strandz) - a simple and helpful way of thinking, listening and praying
- [The Day When God Made Church](https://paracletepress.com/products/the-day-when-god-made-church) (Paraclete Press) - a great book from our church library - read the first part of it online in PDF format [here](https://s3.amazonaws.com/supadu-imgix/paracletepress-us/pdfs/excerpts/EX-9781612615646.pdf)